Answers to frequently asked questions.
If you have other questions, contact us at the KIA Foregner Information Center.


     Q1. What do we do at the Kitakyushu International Association (KIA)?

A1.Here at KIA we offer support to foreign residents through consultation services and assistance with Japanese language learning. We also organize host family and international exchange programs, and distribute information in multiple languages through our mail magazine.


Q2. I am interested in international exchange and foreign cultures. What can I do? What do you offer?

A2. We hold events carried out by foreign residents living in Kitakyushu, including presentations such as My Country in English and our international food festival Moms’ Home Cooking. Visit our website or see the Kitakyushu Shiseidayori newsletter to find out more. You can also subscribe to our free monthly mail magazines Tanoshimail (EN/CN/KR/JP) and KitaQ (JP) for information straight to your inbox.

Q3. I am interested in volunteer activities. What can I do? How do I apply?

A3. Visit our website and click the Volunteer section. Some Japanese language classrooms recruit volunteer instructors. Get in touch with them directly to see if they are currently looking for help.


Q4. Do you offer interpretation and translation services?

A4. KIA does not offer translation services. However, we can dispatch administrative interpreters (free of charge) to ward offices, schools and other municipal administrative offices.. We also dispatch medical interpreters (usually free of charge/fees may apply at some hospitals) to hospitals and clinics. We are currently recruiting more volunteer interpreters. If you speak fluent Japanese and another foreign language, why not apply?


Q5. I would like to get married to a person of a different nationality. What should I do?

A5. Seek consultation at embassy or consulate. Marriage procedures vary from country to country. As for procedures in Japan, contact your nearest ward office. If you are worried about anything, don’t hesitate to contact us at the KIA Foreigner Information Center.


Q6. I would like to change my status of residence/extend my period of stay.

     A6. Contact the Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau branch in Kitakyushu. We also offer free consultation services with an administrative   scrivener regarding nationality, residence status and other issues, every 3rd Sunday. For more information, call the KIA Foreigner InformationCenter.


●Fukuoka Regional Immigration Bureau, Kitakyushu District Immigration Office

Kokura Joint Government Bldg., 5-3 Jyonai, Kokurakita-ku, Kitakyushu


9:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00 (except for Sat, Sun, national holidays)


Q7. I have a general problem, or something that I am worried about, but do not know what to do.

A7. No matter what your problem is, don’t hesitate to contact us at the KIA Foreigner Information Center.

    TEL:093-643-6060     E-mail: helpdesk@kitaq-koryu.jp

        We offer free consultation services, and can accompany you to the ward office to interpret for you if necessary.      

        We also provide the following services:

   ・ Psychological counselling with a clinical psychologist

 ・ Legal consultation with a lawyer.

    *Reservation required, let us know and book in advance if you need an interpreter for your consultation.




Some documents on our site are in the PDF format. For viewing them you need the “Adobe Reader” software (available for free) by Adobe Systems. You can download it from the link below. Download Adobe Reader (External link)

Contact us

Contact Form or E-mail Address: helpdesk@kitaq-koryu.jp

As for access at here, please check.

Kitakyushu International Association

Kurosaki 3-15-3, Yahatanishi, Kitakyushu-shi ComCity 3F
Opening hours: 9:00am–5:30pm
Closed : Sunday, public holidays, New Year holidays (12/29-1/3)
TEL : 093-643-5931
FAX : 093-643-6466